This article gives the basic guide to restore your wallet on your desktop application or mobile application.
Some differences may occur program by program.
Desktop application (wallet.dat)
For this example Bitcoin shall be used. To load in your wallet.dat into your desktop application.
- Press the windows key on your keyboard.
- Type: ‘%APPDATA%’ and press enter.
- Find the Bitcoin directory.
- Copy the wallet.dat file from your back-up storage to the APPDATA folder.
- Start the wallet program, the address should be visible in your wallet now
Desktop application (private key)
For this example Bitcoin shall be used. To load in your private key into your desktop application.
- Download for example Electrum
- When installing the application skip to import the wallet file import
- Next page select "standard wallet"
- Now select "use public or private keys"
- Fill in your private key
- Choose a password to encrypt your wallet
- You should see now your current balance
- Open the app
- Find and click on the options button, mostly symbol with "dots" or a "gear"
- Find the option "back up keys" or "add account" and click on it
- Select restore private keys and select your private key file
- Enter the encryption password
- Click on restore
- Private key will now be loaded and your wallet shall be synced